Tuesday, July 6, 2010

From Book to Big Screen....I dunno???

'K guys, today we're gonna talk about one of life's greatest and unanswered questions. Should the rights for books be purchased by those big wigs in Hollywood and turned into movies?? There are many of you out there who will read that and shout " HELL YEAH" and I will look at you and scream "ROBERT PATTINSON IS UGLY YOU IDIOT!!" and then there will be those who will shake their heads and sigh mouthing a silent "No." 

Now we probably all have read a book that was hyped up so much that someone decided, "Hey that should be a movie!" Books like "Holes", "Harry Potter", "Eragon", "The Darren Shan Saga" and yes, unfortunately, even "The Twilight Saga".  These books were written with the intention of being something that grabs the imagination and hearts of the people who pick them up and flick through their pages. That's what I figure a book is at least. When it comes to a novel, you decide what the characters look like. Well, in most cases at least. Of course the author will add their own inspiration as they describe the character with, for example, "auburn hair and golden eyes", or even "small and nerdy with big round glasses and a lightning scar on his forehead", but what that character really looks like is, for the most part, up to you. When adding a face to the character you can either ruin it, or bring it to life. Ruining a character is highly visible with Edward and his actor (*makes gagging noises*) compared to Daniel Radcliffe who brings Harry Potter to life.

Making a book into a movie ruins the book for a multitude of people, and/or brings about a better experience for an amount of other people. For me, seeing "Darren Shan: The Vampire's Assistant" put a face on the main character (Darren Shan) that I could have happily done without. I was happy reading the books (which are great) with my own imaginary picture of Darren and the rest of the characters in the book. Not to mention my disgust and appall when they decided to RUIN the twilight characters with their horrendous choice of actors! PFF!!

Aside from the characters, another main thing about a book is the plot. Forget all this artistic license that directors take when turning a book into a movie. Sorry, but the book went like this...the movie should also go like this!! You can't leave that out!! That's important!! Don't change the other thing because that's not how the book was written!!!! It's things like that, that, for me, really drags a movie right down.

Now I can't really comment on a movie derived from a book that I haven't read but from listening to comments from friends that have read the books I can happily come to the conclusion that Harry Potter did work as a movie. Personally I sit there and watch the first, then the second, then the third and sort of think...there's more? It's still going? And alright, the quality of the movies are great, but they really are trying to hold the attention of the people who haven't read the books. Saying that, they are great movies!

Darren Shan...*sighs*...Where do I begin? The movie director decided to not only alter some character's drastically but change the entire movie into that of a children/family comedy. Now I'll admit the books are funny, but they are not comedy books. I would go as far to say as the are young teen horror and that is not what the movie portrays. I enjoyed the movie, and it would probably appeal to many people who haven't read the books. (Those this could be because it had been a VERY long time since I had read them I wasn't as frustrated with the movie as one of my friends who almost lives by her books)




















I  think I'll talk about a movie that I haven't mentioned before in this post. Lemony Snickett's: A Series of Unfortunate Events. I've read these books. I loved these books! The dry, sarcastic humor in these book were brought about wonderfully in the movie! The characters were excellent and the plot, stuck to the book like glue (for the most part) There were a few little bits that didn't gel but it's because the director combined the first three books into the one film. This movie I will deem a success, because obviously nothing can be perfect.























Now...Hmmm...How will I approach this? Twilight...This is gonna tick off a lot of people...or not that many (I don't have that many readers yet)...we'll see. This whole section could just be personal bias but then again I have researched this in detail with many of my friends. Twilight, the series of books, I adore. I know they are not the best written books. I know that breaking them down and analyzing them etc, shows them as the ridiculous works of texts they are, but I still like them. They do what books are supposed to do, they made me happy and sucked me in as I read them. I was probably one of the very first people to read this book, as I bought it the day the book was released, (before the obsession, the twihards, the..R.Patts!) and I really thought, this book is one to read. It will be big. And I was right. Lol (Yay for me!) Anyway, on to the movie. Absolute rubbish!! I'm sorry! It was ridiculous! The actors they chose, ridiculous! They didn't stick to the book, the character's personalities were off and it all hobbled into a modern day Romeo and Juliet. I mean, in the book the build up of tension between Bella and Edward justified their falling in love. In the movie it was more bing bang boom, I see you, I stalk you, I love you. No, rubbish, sorry! The next movie, slightly better due to better actors with the Volturi and the different director. Oh! It also helped that stupid Robert-forty food hair, caterpillar eyebrow, Elvis side burns- Pattinson, wasn't in it the entire time!! I just saw the third movie yesterday, it was the best of the three, but still. I found that each movie is a succession of nothing happening to end in an epic battle, now I know that is probably how it happens in the book, but I didn't notice it there. This entire dislike of the movie could really be because of my dislike of the characters but that is my opinion. 

*exhales deeply* Whooo! That was some rant. So guys it's sort of personal oppinon. What about you? Wanna tell me what you think? I wan't your opinion, not a comment on my opinion, let's not add trolls to this blog or else the hobo's will have no where to live. 

Happy Blogging!

2 comments:

  1. I think that some book to movie transfers do work out well. While I hated lord of the rings trilogy, so many people loved them and thought they were amazing. Harry Potter, you're right is generally thought to have transferred well also. For some reason Hollywood doesnt seem to have latched onto games so well though. Tomb Raider and Silent Hill were drivel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, though they pulled off Prince of Persia fairly well XD

    ReplyDelete